Saturday, June 20, 2009

Typhoon Day/Bike Check

Typhoon Day:

A typhoon is just south of Taiwan. The weather network has predicted it will arrive sometime on Saturday or Sunday. There was a lot of wind here this morning but no rain. James and I decided that we would take our chances with the weather and head out to the jumps. We ended up taping the camera and tripod up in a tree and got some cool shots.






Bike Check:

Here are a couple of shots with me and my Wildcard. I built up my medium sized Wildcard with parts that came off other bikes and will be slowly upgraded. The fork is a fox talas 36, the rear shock is an xfusion H3 (testing for www.cycletaiwan.com), the wheels are halo sas rims built on tank hubs (not the lightest wheels, good enough for now), the cranks, pedals, stem and bars are all from Deity (hope to get some upgrades soon). I have been running Avid Juicy 7's on my past couple of bikes and I have no complaints, so I am running them on this bike too. I am not sure what the weight is as I have never put a bike on a scale. I go more on feel than weight.



Here is a shot of James with his medium sized Wildcard. We were trying to get a new X Fusion Vengeance, but the Taiwanese distributor will not have any stock until we have already left for Canada. He ended up going with a Rock Shox Lyric 2 Step Air. His rear shock is a Fox DHX 5.0 and we spent a good part of today getting his suspension some what dialed. He is running Race Face Atlas cranks, a Gamut chain guide and a combo of XT and Juicy 7 brakes. If anyone wants to donate us some brake hose for Juicy 7 brakes or do a rebuild on a set of XT brakes we will not turn you down.



Keep riding, be safe.

Rob Dunnet

P.S. Jay gave me a couple of blog rules a couple months back. One was no man ass ... this is as close as I can come to breaking that rule.

Edit: Jay has four simple rules for the blog (see his comment), as I was testing my version of the UCI skin suit yesterday I came pretty close to breaking the one I hoped to never break.



8 comments:

Jay MacNeil said...

it makes it sound like i have all these crazy rules.
Here are the rules for the record.
1- no man ass
2- don't say the C word on the blog
3- if you have to swear use it sparingly. I made this one because of Szwed using the F word in every sentence
4- never rag on our competition -EVER

4 simple rules

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,
can you please give some Info about the X-fusion H3 Shock you are using! This one could be a good alternative to DHX 5 Air or Evolver, but I haven´t found any Info about it yet.

Greetings from Cologne, Germany
NoStyle

Robert "Goulet" Dunnet said...

In my opinion this is a good alternative to the DHX 5 Air. I am going to take both the H3 and DHX with me to Canada and do a better comparison. I started out with the DHX on my wildcard and thought it worked amazingly. I found the H3 a little bit harder to set up. The rebound adjustment and the Power Valve Adjustable II adjuster are in the same place so I found that I was dampening the shock while I was trying to adjust the rebound. A minor annoyance ... The H3 also only has half the rebound adjustment as the DHX, so I found that it was more difficult to find a rebound speed that I was happy with. But was able to find something that worked in the end.

Since then I have kind of forgotten about it. It performs well on dirt jumps, gaps, drops, bumps, berms ... I have gone through all of my travel but I have not bottomed it out. Which is similar to the DHX 5.

If you have any more questions you can send me an email at rdunnet@hotmail.com

here is a review done by Victor at cycletaiwan http://cycletaiwan.taiwaneditorial.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=45

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot Rob for the input!
If I have more Questions I will let you know. Maybe you can give a Longterm-Review here after your Canada-Ridings.

Geetings from Cologne, Germany
NoStyle

Robert "Goulet" Dunnet said...

Yes, I will do a more detailed review of it once I have done some real riding with it. A few days in Whistler should be a good testing ground.

Rob

Anonymous said...

That would be great. Have fun in Whistler ;-)

Geetings from Cologne, Germany
NoStyle

Robert "Goulet" Dunnet said...

It should be a good summer ...

Coach Outlet Online said...

Coach Outlet Online is a good store!