Thursday, July 26, 2007

Crankworx

Headed out to Whistler early this morning but arrived a little late to catch Alan and Chris's qualifying runs; they were both in the first group of three.
After only about 5 minutes in Chris's name was posted on the massive TV screen showing he's qualified 4th in his group but it looks like Alan didn't squeek through - too bad.
I'll get some pics of the comp and of the lads throwing it down on the elevation jumps.

There was lots of carnage today and Cowan's slopestyle course definitely seperated the men from the boys. There were some riders who think they're better then they actually are and shouldn't be showing up to qualify because I'm sure there were a few better riders that could've taken their spots but because of the lottery system didn't get in. That said I think this year is the fairest its been for being an "open" comp, and nothing is every perfect so no complaints from me... its a total pro event all the way and I saw a lot of "happy to be here" faces.

Scott Alleyn came up short on the drop in during practice and twisted his ankle. Honestly I'm kinda glad cause I was really afraid he was going to seriously hurt himself. The course is big and to do it on a hardtail takes some kind of guts, to do it on a broken hardtail thats well...
He was suppose to be in heat 3 but I didn't find out he was not riding until I called him from inside the middle of the course. He's in the pic standing in the white shirt with a phone to his ear behind the pipes of the judges platform sitting with Dylan Tremblay and crew. I snapped the pic while I was on the phone with him telling him I was taking his picture as he looked around for me "are you that fat old dude?" hahaha uh no Scott thats not me try again.


Jarl Jensen is also in town and we're hoping he'll become our next DH racer. He's an Aussie and everyone knows those guys are fast. I was sure we had him "sewn up" but it looks like other big names have seen his potential and have also made him an offer. I'm sure I can do some fancy negotiations and keep him under our banner [the pic is of me doing some of those negotiations]. He's stoked to ride the Legend Mk1 and the Rampant at the US Mountain States cup next year, and him and Keith have made a few tiny tweeks to the design. He's a great guy and would fit in well with our 22Pride.


Kim Subrunoff has been riding the Rampant for us and got 4th in the Womens Air DH on it. She wasn't actually racing but boosting large on the jumps. I'm totally cool with all our riders just going out and having fun and if they place high in the rankings thats just a bonus.
Tomorrow she'll compete in the Dual Slalom.
The pics are of the last training run of the day and because the track was getting chewed up they had to shut it down early to save it for the comp, with the last one being of Keith talking about the course and some techniques for the course. I would have liked to get more pics but I think my best ones will have to come tomorrow and Sat.

Matt Brooks just called while I'm writing this.... he says he just arrived in Whistler and will be there until Sunday because he's got a doctors appointment to look at his torn ACL on Monday. He tore it filming with Troy and gang from Rebel Media when a gust of wind rotated his bike on a huge jump. Wind is a big factor, and I'm sure its been the same in the slopestyle qualifiers as it doesn't take much to throw you off your intended target.

Bumped into Transition rider Mike Metzger, looks like he's out again this year with an injury. Its too bad he can't catch a break cause he's a good rider and would totally do well at this comp. We used to sponsor his good buddy Grant Brashears [who left us to start a family] and so I know him through that.

Well I'm going to sign off.. I need my rest because there will be a hard days work of drinkin tomorrow and I need to be at the top of my game. Bradley [Brad Ewen - Crankworx, Redbull announcer] seems to always keep'm coming when I'm around him and he's about the best guy to party with... at Sun Peaks a few season back I watched him in the bar throw ice cubes at Cedric and then pick him up and throw him on a pool table... all in good fun.
First thing he does when I see him is hands me a ticket for a free pitcher o beer... ah... goodtimes being in the mountain bike industry. There's really a great bunch of people that work behind the scenes too