Thursday, May 3, 2007

Wildcard Prototype...

I've spent the last couple of days tracking down parts and building up the wildcard prototype for you all to see, so without further adieu... The Wildcard!
If you want to see bigger pics of the wildcard you can check'm out HERE

(please be aware that the tubes are mock ups of what will be non-gusseted hydroformed lighter sexy tubes)


Soooo... how does it ride??

Hmmn how to describe?

I would have to say that the word that springs to mind is FUN! It is soooo much fun! It feels nimble, aggressive and low. It is compact (as a slopestyle bike should be) yet the top tube feels a comfortable length (and I'm about 6'3"). It just makes you want to rail every corner, boost every jump and nail every line.


Now I like to be very honest with our riders, so I admit that the prototype has a few small faults, chiefly a lack of tire clearance for rear tire, but don't worry! I have already changed the models and drawings, and will send them to the factory to fix any issues before they hit full production so that it will not affect your ride! What can I say? That is what prototyping is for... to test and improve designs!

Ha, thats why I have been trying my best to snap or crack it, by landing drops to flat and pushing the bike into the ground (aka Harsh Hacking!) so far my attempts have been futile, I have even run the shock at half pressure so that it bottoms out really easily to try and stress and shock the frame, yet still the frame seems happy to just take it.

The geometry is as posted previously, and the frame weight... well the prototype weighed in at 7.8lbs, but it does not have the right tubes and has extra gussets etc... I suspect that the weight will drop to around 7.4lbs (for large) and closer to 7 for the small so I think we've managed to come really close to our initial target, but we will have to weight and see...

All I can say is that I am happy with how it looks and more importantly how it rides, it is just squishy fun on 2 wheels!


Also, thanks to Mike at Gamut USA for letting us prototype the P30 on this bike... and I think Jay is trying to get something going for a chain tensioner with YESS so that you can run it single speed.