Friday, February 5, 2010

Spitfire Headset Options

I've had a bunch of people e-mail me to ask about Spitfire V1 headsets recently now that the frames have started shipping out.

The spitfire V1 has a head tube that is tapered between 1.125" ZS top (44.0mm diameter) to 1.5" traditional bottom (49.61mm diameter).

So depending on your fork there are 3 options depending on the setup you want.

If you are running a 130-150mm travel fork with 1 1/8" steerer I would personally recommend the following:


If you are running a 130-150mm tapered fork something like this would work:


If you are running a 150-160mm travel fork with 1 1/8" steerer then to keep the geometry in line I would recommend running a zero stack lower cup setup like this:

Same top cup, but a flush mount bottom cup like the bottom part of this (you can buy this separately from cane creek, don't worry!)
So with 150mm forks with 1 1/8" steerers gives you the option depending on what geometry you are after.

These are the geometries you will get with the different setups.


I picked this style tapered head tube, as I felt it gave you guys the most options with regards to headsets and geometry in the tapered package.